Our brain is the “control center” of our body. It controls thought, memory, emotion, touch, motor skills, vision, breathing, temperature, hunger and every process that regulates our body. Don’t let it fend for itself - give it some love with these seven tips!
Do you ever feel like your brain just needs a little more attention - physically and mentally? Our brain is the “control center” of our body. It controls thought, memory, emotion, touch, motor skills, vision, breathing, temperature, hunger and every process that regulates our body. I would say it definitely deserves some love!
So what kind of things can we be doing to help in this department? Let’s take a look…
Our brains need fuel to function optimally. But not just any ol’ fuel - proper fuel. Our brains need foods rich in antioxidants, healthy fats, vitamins and minerals. These provide the brain with energy and protection, as well as support a healthy gut and inflammation response. A healthy gut means the hormones and neurotransmitters that affect cognitive function are working properly - the cycle can operate the way it should.
Try incorporating these foods into your diet: avocados; beets; blueberries and other berries like strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries; bone broth; broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower, kale and Brussels sprouts; celery; coconut oil; dark chocolate; egg yolks, extra virgin olive oil; green leafy vegetables; rosemary and other herbs; salmon; turmeric; walnuts and other nuts.
Regular cardiovascular exercise increases your heart rate and increases blood flow to the brain and the rest of the body. According to a recent study, individuals who were highly physically active showed 38% less risk of cognitive decline, and those who did low-to-moderate level exercise also showed a significantly 35% reduced risk. So don’t be afraid to break a sweat - it’s good for your brain!
The brain needs exercise to stay in shape, right? So challenge it daily with activities that stimulate it and keep it sharp. Research has shown that challenging your mind in this way can boost your memory, concentration, and focus. It can even make daily tasks quicker and easier if you make it a regular thing.
Put together a jigsaw puzzle, do a crossword puzzle, or play sudoku. Engage in a card game like solitaire, bridge, rummy, or poker. Play an instrument. Don’t know how to play? Pull up videos online and learn! Read a book - or two. Research has shown it strengthens your brain by improving connectivity.
You can absolutely use essential oils to love on your brain. First of all, let me share this amazing nugget of information with you. Our sense of smell is the only one of our senses that connects to the limbic system, the emotional control center of our brain. This system supports things like behavior, motivation, and long term memory. It’s even connected to the parts of the brain that control heart rate, hormones, blood pressure, breathing, and stress. So grab those essential oils - from Young Living - and use them! Diffuse them or apply them topically and inhale! Here are some good ones to grab…
- Peppermint - purifying & stimulating to the conscious mind
- Rosemary - creates an environment conducive to work or study
- Clarity - promotes feelings of stability, focus, & a sense of productivity
- Brain Power - creates clarity & stability for an environment conducive to work or study
- M-Grain - creates an atmosphere conducive to releasing tension & daily stressors
- GeneYus - promotes an atmosphere for inspiration, productivity, & positivity
- Common Sense - promotes feelings of clarity & stability
Ideally, you would get all the nutrients you need to support your brain from the food and drinks you ingest. However, that’s not always practical nor achievable for all. You might want to consider adding in some quality supplements to your daily routine. Young Living has plenty to offer in this department, plus they’re essential oil-infused, which makes them even more powerful. Here are some you might want to look into…
- MindWise - supports cognitive health using CoQ10, ALCR, GPC ingredients, turmeric, fruit, & premium essential oils
- NingXia Red - an antioxidant drink that provides a nutritive infusion for whole-body support
- OmegaGize-3 - combines the power of omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D3, & CoQ10 along with essential oils to support normal brain function
- NingXia Nitro - a delicious wolfberry drink that increases cognitive alertness & enhances mental fitness
- Master Formula - a full-spectrum supplement that provides vitamins & minerals that supports brain function and more
- Super B - a comprehensive B-vitamin supplement that supports a healthy mood & cognitive function
When keeping brain health at the forefront of your mind, you most definitely want to do your best to get proper rest. Sleep deprivation or non-restorative sleep can have quite a negative impact on your cognitive functioning - things like memory and judgment impairment, mood swings, headaches, and clumsiness. When you are sleep-deprived, you can actually over-exert a portion of your brain that can impair things like concentration, alertness, and coordination. So how do you ensure you get enough rest? Here are some suggestions…
- Get around 7-9 hours a night of sleep; preferably around the same time every day.
- Get regular exercise. Not only can it help increase the effectiveness of your sleep, it can help you release tension and stress.
- Spend time without screens and other technology distractions. Meditate, stretch, read… give yourself time to unplug as you end the day.
Not only does the physical health of your brain matter, but the emotional health of your brain matters as well. Depression can actually lead to impaired brain function, learning, memory, and attention. It can even reduce the speed at which your brain processes information and lead to other things like poor psycho-social skills. We don’t want that!
But don’t try to “fix” something like depression on your own. Seek out help from others, ideally from a licensed healthcare professional.
On days when I'm feeling a little down in the dumps, I like to use the oils in "The Great Day" protocol.
I mentioned several essential oils and supplements from Young Living that I think your brain will love. So now let me tell you the most cost effective way to get them! Friends don’t let friends pay full price! Am I right? Contact me and I can show you how to unlock a 24% discount for 12 months!
Have you thought about making a few changes to eliminate harsh chemicals from your environment but just didn't know where to start? Click on the link below to get access to my Simple Start to Natural Living!