Everybody knows that good restful sleep is key to managing stress responses in the body, having good energy and a healthy functioning immune system. The trouble is, we live in a fast-paced world, and it's sometimes difficult to wind down at the end of the day for a good night's rest. Too much stress usually equals too little sleep, which in turn leaves us more tired, more cranky, and more stressed. So how do we stop the vicious cycle?
Dark Rooms Are Best for a Good Night's Rest
It's important to avoid being on electronics and watching TV for at least an hour before bedtime. The small amounts of light from these devices pass through the retina into the area of the brain that controls sleep activities and delays the release of melatonin, our sleep-inducing hormone. Avoid night lights, too - do your kids a favor and don't let them get used to having night lights to sleep - They will be much healthier and happier!
Take Time to Relax for Your Best Sleep
Take some time before bed, even 10-15 minutes to create a relaxation response - it can be as simple as a warm bath, some deep breathing exercises before bed, or making a to-do list so you can forget about what needs to be done - write it down and let it go for the night.
Did you Know?
- 40% of Americans get less than the recommended amount of sleep
- 8 out of 10 Americans say they are frequently or sometimes stressed in their daily lives
- Only 4% of people say they never felt stressed (must be nice!)
Quality sleep starts with developing good habits and routines. Here's a few that are relatively easy to incorporate and can make a world of difference in your quality of sleep and help you sleep like a baby!
- Go to bed around the same time every night
- Spend some time creating relaxation before bed (warm bath, focus on deep breathing, use calming essential oils)
- Don't eat late at night
Between the ages of 18 and 64, adults should aim for seven to nine hours of nightly sleep. If you're older than 65, you may need a little less: seven to eight hours is recommended.
If you would like my recommendations for what I have found works for me (as well as many others) in the way of nighttime essential oils and supplements that really do the trick, just REACH OUT and ask me for my Great Sleep Tips!
Have you thought about making a few changes to eliminate harsh chemicals from your environment but just didn't know where to start? Click on the link below to get access to my Simple Start to Natural Living!
* If you see links on my website material, they could be affiliate links where either I or someone else could earn commissions at no additional cost to you. Support small business entrepreneurs.