Osteoporosis: What can you do?
Osteoporosis affects both men and women, but of 10 million Americans with osteoporosis
, about 80 percent are women
. According to the National Osteoporosis Foundation
, women between the ages of 20 and 80 lose about one-third of their bone density in their hips. All the more reason why it’s important to keep learning and do all we can to strengthen our bones.
Causes of osteoporosis:
According to the Mayo Clinic
, here are some of the most common causes:
1. Family tree: If you have family, like a sibling or parent, with osteoporosis, you are more likely to have the disease yourself.
2. Age: Even though young people can get osteoporosis, it is more prevalent among people 50 years and older.
3. Small frames: Women and men with small body frames, because they have less bone mass to lose, are at higher risk for osteoporosis due to decrease in bone mass over time.
4. Insufficient calcium intake: A lack of calcium across a lifetime can cause a lack of bone density.
5. Lack of exercise: Those who tend to sit all day, like at desk jobs, or who don’t exercise enough are more prone to osteoporosis.
Prevention of osteoporosis:
1. Get enough calcium and vitamin D: Eating a well-balanced diet and getting enough calcium and vitamin D helps your chances of avoiding osteoporosis. So, choose things that are rich in vitamins like kale or spinach salad!
2. Get up and move: Your bones become stronger with weight bearing exercises like walking, running, jumping, dancing, tennis, etc.
3. Quit smoking: If you smoke, you may absorb less calcium from the foods you eat.
My two favorite Calcium supplements are Mega Call and Super Cal Plus.
MegaCal™ is a delicious powdered drink mix that provides essential nutrients, including calcium and magnesium, to support bone health, vascular health, and normal nerve function.*
MegaCal boasts 210 mg of both calcium and magnesium in every teaspoon. This delicious powdered drink mix, which gets its bright flavor from Lemon and Lime premium essential oils, makes it easy for your body to absorb the calcium, so you can enjoy the full benefits.
There are plenty of calcium supplements to choose from, so what’s unique about this one? Super Cal Plus
was created to offer more than just calcium and minerals—it is a true bone-health supplement.
Here are just a few of the benefits it offers to you and, more importantly, to your bones:
- With a synergistic blend of bioavailable calcium, magnesium, vitamins D and K, and other trace minerals, Super Cal Plus supports the structure, integrity, and density of bones and teeth. Plus, adequate calcium and vitamin D throughout life as part of a well-balanced diet may reduce the risk of osteoporosis.*
- Using a marine mineral blend derived from red algae that’s harvested off the coast of Iceland, Super Cal Plus harnesses the power of naturally derived ingredients to bring you the vital minerals found in the most complete bone-support supplements. This unique seaweed absorbs calcium, magnesium, and other trace minerals from ocean water, bringing them together to support overall bone health, including bone-density support.
- Super Cal Plus also includes a unique fermented polysaccharide complex to support bone resorption and formation. With these powerhouse ingredients, plus a special blend of handpicked essential oils, Super Cal Plus plays an important role in maintaining overall bone health to help you stay moving.*
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Young Living products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
If you want to try Megacal or Super Cal Plus and do not yet have a Young Living account set up, just CLICK HERE
and you can get on a subscription, which will unlock a 24% discount!
People often ask me what my Favorite YL Products are. That really kind of depends on a lot of factors - what may be my favorite today could be different than yesterday, depending on what's going on in my life. But if you want to know the Young Living products that I absolutely USE every single day.... click the button below for My Daily Favorites!