Your skin is the organ that comes into contact with the rest of the world. It is our protection layer to keep harmful microbes out. Without it, we would constantly be getting infections. It also plays an important role in preventing dehydration by holding fluids in. Your skin is full of nerve endings that help you feel things like heat, cold, and pain.
Your skin is your largest organ, and the state of your skin can tell you a lot about your body's needs. Your skin is exposed to everything the day brings - heat, cold, sun, wind, environmental toxins, household toxins, and more. So we need to do everything we can to show our skin (and our bodies!) some TLC.
YOUR SKIN IS AFFECTED BY….
- The health of your gut
- Hormone balance
- Exposure to natural elements (wind, sun, etc.)
- Exposure to toxins around you
- The amount and quality of sleep you get
- Your diet, especially sugar consumption
Some of the things affecting our skin are out of our control, and some of the things are within our control. So we choose to make the best decisions we can regarding what is in our control, give our skin lots of love with healthy fats, lots of water & minerals, good sleep and minimizing stress.
CHOOSING HEALTHY PRODUCTS
Sadly conventional skin and personal care products are chock full of synthetic ingredients that wreak havoc on the body, especially over time, disrupting hormones, causing allergies (often low-level so we barely notice!), and filling our systems with chemicals that cause damage over time. Switching from conventional, chemical-laden beauty products is a great, simple step in the right direction! Young Living products contain NO synthetic ingredients. NO hormone disruptors. NO artificial colorings. And you can bet that every ingredient used is of the highest quality.
EVERYDAY YOUNG LIVING FAVORITES
We mostly think about skin care being for our faces, but truly taking care of our skin involves all of it! We can create nourishing daily routines to give our largest organ what it needs, and that starts with reducing our chemical load by switching to natural options. Here are a few ways we can do that and some favorites for reducing our exposure to toxins in the home!
- Young Living Soaps and Bath Gels (Morning Start is our go-to!)
- Thieves Cleaning Products - Thieves Household Cleaner, Laundry Soap, Hand Soap, Dish Soap and Kitchen & Bath Scrub
- Diffusers + Oils instead of scented candles & plug-ins.
Often, our skin is the first sign that something is happening on the inside that needs to be addressed. There are many ways that this shows up - sensitivity, inflammation, redness, breakouts and more. Each situation will be a bit different, but there are a few supplements that work from the inside out to truly nourish and support the skin (and body overall!).
- Life 9 Probiotic
- Skin health is directly linked to a healthy gut, and a really good probiotic is the cornerstone of gut health.
- Dietary sulfur and MSM are essential for healthy skin. If you're struggling with dry, itchy, or inflamed skin, check out this supplement!
- Longevity Softgels
- This supplement is a powerhouse of oils that support overall longevity and health - Frankincense, Thyme, Clove and Orange.
- Mineral Essence
- This one supplement can do so much. Water is great, but if you aren't adding essential ionic minerals to your routine, you're not getting all you need!
- Inner Beauty Collagen
- Collagen is an essential component for our skin (and joints and more), and it naturally declines starting around our late 20s, so supplementing is a great choice.
- Progessence Plus Serum (topical use)
- Hormonal acne can be caused by an imbalance of estrogen and progesterone, so helping the body balance progesterone levels can have a huge impact on the skin!
Other things to consider include dietary reactions to things like dairy, wheat, or sugar that often show up as skin reactions. Also, the link between gut health and skin health cannot be ignored! Depending on the individual this can be as simple as bone broth and a probiotic daily or it can be a more complex process needing more support.
BEAUTY FAVORITES FOR EACH SKIN TYPE
When it comes to facial care, there are a lot of wonderful, natural options - both already made products and options for making your own!
Any Skin Type
- CBD Beauty Boost
- Frankincense, Blue Tansy Essential Oils
- BLOOM Brightening Skincare Line (BLOOM Brightening Cleanser, BLOOM Brightening Essence, BLOOM Brightening Lotion, BLOOM Brightening Cream)
- Wolfberry Eye Cream
- ART Skincare System (infused with Frankincense and great for more mature skin!)
- Mirah Cleansing Oil
- Myrrh, Cedarwood and Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood Essential Oils
- Dry Skin Serum
- Rose Ointment
- Manuka, Tea Tree, Lemon, and Lavender Essential Oils
- Satin Mint Facial Scrub
- BALANCE Skincare System (BALANCE Cleanser, BALANCE Dual-Phase Toner, BALANCE Mattifying Lotion - great for teens!)
- Progessence Plus Serum (for hormone balance)
- Life 9 Probiotic (gut health is HUGE for skin health!)
- Maximum Strength Acne Treatment Gel
- Charcoal Bar Soap
- Tea Tree, Lemon, and Purification Essential Oils (use as a spot treatment)
- Charcoal Mask
- Satin Mint Facial Scrub
If you're not sure where to get started, we have you covered! Choose 3 household or personal care products to switch out to natural options. Grab 1-2 beauty products or oils to switch out or add to your routine as well as Life 9 and SulfurZyme. Make these things a habit and nourish your skin daily! START HERE
Have you thought about making a few changes to eliminate harsh chemicals from your environment but just didn't know where to start? Click on the link below to get access to my Simple Start to Natural Living!
* If you see links on my website material, they could be affiliate links where either I or someone else could earn commissions at no additional cost to you. Support small business entrepreneurs.